5 Best Basement Remodeling Ideas for 2020
Need more space in your home? The answer may be right under your feet!
Basement remodels have become incredibly popular over the last few years. We’ve helped many of our clients turn dark unfinished basements into fully functional living spaces that add value to their home and happiness to their lives.
Take a look at some creative and popular ways homeowners throughout Northern Virginia and Montgomery County, Maryland are transforming their basements into usable space.
#1: Create a Guest Bedroom or Suite!
A separate guest suite ensures you and your visitors never feel cramped or overwhelmed. You’ll both enjoy a bit of privacy and feel fully comfortable in your home.
One of the most popular uses for this type of space are in-law-suites. This can be a perfect setup for when parents come to visit after the birth of a child, during the holidays, or in their golden years when they may need extra care.
Another popular trend is turning the basement into a vacation rental space. A cozy home-base for vacationers that you can rent out on Airbnb or another vacation rental site. In this case, you’ll need to ensure the basement meets local requirements for egress windows and has a separate entrance.
Some great features to consider for your basement guest suite are:
- Living Room – Make this as simple or extravagant as you like. At the minimum, a small area with a sofa, TV, and coffee table will help create a cozy space for your guests to relax.
- Kitchenette – You don’t need a full kitchen, just a small area where long-term guests can prepare a few things, if they choose. A small fridge, sink, microwave, and table or bar seating are perfect. This feature is also perfect for entertaining!
- Bedroom – Create a comfortable oasis for your guests by having a separate bedroom area with a bed, bedside table, and dresser or closet. (Make sure your bedroom is compliant with local codes for egress window requirements.)
- Bathroom – We recommend having a full bathroom to avoid guests having to go upstairs into your home to shower or use the restroom.
#2: Your Own Home Gym and Spa Retreat!
Many homeowners chose to turn their basement into a recreational fitness area. It’s a great way to integrate fitness into your family lifestyle and avoid trips to a crowded gym. It’s also perfect for the family on a rainy day!
The only limit to your recreational area is your imagination. Think beyond just a traditional gym space. We’ve helped our clients create fitness spaces that truly fit every member of the family with features like…
- Fitness machines
- Free weights
- Relaxing space for yoga or pilates
- Soccer court or ice hockey rink (yes, you read that right!)
- Pool and hot tub
- Steam room or Sauna
- Stereo system
- Floor-to-ceiling mirrors
- Mounted TVs
- Kitchenette for making protein shakes or smoothies
- Bathroom and shower
At Sun Design, creating your vision is our mission!
#3: Create a Secondary Entertainment Space!
Game room, home theater, a place to send the kids during a playdate, or a space to enjoy a messy craft together as a family — your basement could be the perfect entertainment space.
A space for any of these activities provides so many benefits to your family.
- Offers a central location where your children and their friends can play
- Keeps the majority of the toys in one space and encourages a tidier home
- Offers a large rec room for playing games or hosting friends for a movie night
- Helps alleviate the stress of a loud, busy, and messy home
Some fun ideas we love for an entertainment room include:
- Ping pong, foosball, or pool table
- Bar with high top chairs
- Large game table
- Popcorn machine
- Tastefully wall-mounted TV or blank wall space for a projector
- Big cozy sofa and reading chairs
- Lots of storage for toys, games, DVDs, and books
#4: Your Very Own Unique Bar or Wine Cellar
You can build your wine cellar as a stand alone climate-controlled space built specifically for aging your wine or as part of another basement remodel. Many of our clients choose the latter, including features like:
- Bar stools
- Glass storage
- Couch and other seating
- Wall-mounted TV
#5: Home office and Lounge
Do you work from home? Have a job with a lot of paperwork? Need more space to manage all your home and family bills and documents? A basement home office remodel is a great solution.
Since it’s separated from the rest of your home, your basement offers a quiet and private space where you can work, pay bills, or send the kids to do their homework.
Set up your work area as you’ve always dreamed and in a way that will help you be most efficient:
- Sound-proofing features
- Filing cabinets and other storage options
- Built-in bookshelves
- Reading chair
- Lots of lighting
- Built-in speaker system
Let’s talk about your basement remodel!
Ready to turn your basement into a usable, beautiful space that adds value to your home and family? No matter where you are in the process, we would love to help turn your basement dreams into reality.
At Sun Design, we help our clients create a one-of-a-kind basement spaces for their family to enjoy. Our award-winning basement remodels are based on years of experience and focused on delivering results. Let’s talk!
Schedule your free in-home consultation today
Jessica and Todd envisioned their dream home to be a place where their three children would grow up safely and family could all come together comfortably, and in style. They had filled up their idea boards with dozens of their favorite styles and designs, all with the goal that they could host large family gatherings…
Isn’t it true that when guests arrive they all seem to gravitate in the kitchen? Kids return home from school, grandchildren come to visit, the neighbors drop in… and everyone ends up wedged between the sink and the fridge. Very few cooks enjoy being confined in a tight space to prepare a meal when company…
”We called Sun Design Remodeling because they have a great reputation.”Marcia and Rick