5 Tips for a Stress Free Remodel
Remodeling is stressful. Here are our top 5 tips, under the best of situations, for a stress-free remodel!
- Choose The Right Remodeling Partner – There is no such thing as “Apples to Apples”. Research through your personal referrals, the size and type of the company you’re interested in, similar projects to yours, the better business bureau, and make sure they’re bonded and licensed. It may also be helpful to inquire about whether they drug test and background check their employees.
- Ask The Right Questions – Once you’ve signed a design agreement, it’s important to clarify the scope of work, including all selection details and options. You need to know if there are any exclusions, what they are, and how they impact your design.
- Minimize Surprises – Remodeling is complex. It’s essential to make sure whoever you’re working with is familiar with the latest county requirements. Know who on your team is responsible for doing the due diligence, including existing conditions of your home which could impact your final outcome.
- Get It In Writing – Your final construction contract should include a detailed scope of work, drawings and/or plans, which reflect your scope of work, allowances (if any), and your specific selection choices. Always get it in writing!
- Agree to Expectations – Lastly, it’s critical to discuss with your construction team how they will protect your home, family and pets while the remodel is underway. Things to ask: do they use floor protection? Can they accommodate your family’s schedules? How will the site be secured? What is the projected time frame of the project? Etc. All questions are good – don’t be afraid to ask yours!
Check out MORE tips on our follow-up blog: 5 MORE Tips for a Stress-Free Remodel
Schedule your free in-home consultation today
I remember my childhood home. A typical split-foyer found in almost any Northern Virginia neighborhood built between the 50s and 80s. I remember scaling the upper level railing, hanging over the foyer, as I played Barbie and pretending to be falling off the “cliff” during – what I referred to as – my jungle Barbie…
”About 5 years ago, you added a sunroom to our home. You were the only company that we could find who could produce the room we wanted.”Bill and Marion